Use these downloadable templates and the Simplicity® 12 Needle Deluxe Felting Machine or hand-held felting needle and foam base to add fanciful leaf and vine embellishments as seen on Simplicity® pattern 1293. We give templates for the jacket front, back, sleeves and hood—pick and choose where you want to felt, or follow our lead and do them all!
GETTING STARTED: Download the PDF for the vine and leaves templates and project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
Templates for felting:
- Jacket Front: see page 4-5 of PDF. This template will print on two sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" paper and features guide lines for placement, drawn with broken lines. Match these lines with the cut edges of your jacket front fabric pieces.
- Jacket Back: see page 6 of PDF. This template will print on one sheet of 8-1/2" x 11" paper. Center this template on the open back fabric piece.
- Jacket Hood: see pages 7-8 of PDF for left and right side templates. This template will print on two sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" paper and features guide lines for placement, drawn with broken lines. Match these lines with the cut edges of your hood pieces.
- Jacket Sleeve: see pages 9-12 of PDF for left and right sleeve templates. Each template will print on two sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" paper, for a total of four sheets. Each template will need to be pieced together for the full motif and features guide lines for placement, drawn with broken lines. Match these lines with the lower cut edges of your sleeves.
- Leaves Pattern: see page 13 of PDF for all leaves used on the various templates. This pattern will print on one sheet of 8-1/2" x 11" paper. Please note that each leaf is unique and has been numbered. Leaves that are used on the jacket front, sleeves and hood have been provided as pairs of left and right leaves. The leaves within the various templates have also been numbered to correspond with these pattern pieces. Use the pattern pieces for the leaves as directed on the templates you have chosen to use for best results.
Simplicity® 12 Needle Deluxe Felting Machine or hand-held felting needle and foam work station
Wool roving in desired color – we used black
Metallic yarn in desired color – we used green/gold
Felt fabric for leaves – amount of fabric needed will be determined by how many leaves you will be felting with
Hobby knife, such as X-Acto, with fine-point blade
Fine point scissors
Fabric marking pen or pencil
See the Supply List for items you can purchase here.
Print out templates
Print out desired templates and piece together as needed.
Cut leaves of felt, using the numbered leaves patterns that correspond with each template you are using.
Cut out templates with hobby knife to create stencils.
Place the stencils on the RIGHT side of your cut fabric pieces, using guide lines for placement if needed. Trace the lines directly onto the fabric to transfer each stencil motif, using the fabric marking pen or pencil. Place leaf cutouts in position for reference and then set aside.
Needle felt the vines
Pull a long piece of wool roving approximately 3/8" wide. Roll between fingers to twist together. Starting in the center of a vine curl, felt along the traced outline using the Simplicity® 12 Needle Deluxe Felting Machine, or a hand-held felting needle and foam work station. Tip: as you felt, be sure to hold your work down—the fleece is bouncy! Felt all vines.
Needle felt the leaves
Using an uncut template as a guide, position leaf cutouts in preparation for felting. Start felting one leaf from the center, using tweezers to hold it down. This will prevent the leaf from bouncing back up and sticking to the felting machine needles. Once it is felted well at the center, continue felting the entire leaf until secure. Repeat with all remaining leaves.
Additional needle felting
Once all vines and leaves are felted, turn piece over and felt from the WRONG side for extra shading and texture. If necessary, flip over the stencil used for that piece to the reverse side as a guide.
On RIGHT side, use metallic yarn to accent vines and leaves. Start with a piece of yarn and make a small ball. Felt into the center of a vine curl. Using longer strands of yarn, unwind slightly at one end and stagger onto a leaf to create veins; felt into place. Continue with remainder of strand, following down the vine and felt into place.
Check the overall look and felt anything that needs further securing. To fluff out the fleece and add more shading, felt from the WRONG side as described above.
Once all felting has been completed, place pattern pieces on top of fabric to compare size, as some edges may have shrunken slightly during felting. Make note of any shrinkage so you can reduce the seam allowance slightly when constructing the jacket. Stitch jacket together as directed on pattern guide sheet.