- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Felted Flower Hat
This beautiful hat will keep you warm in style – start with Simplicity® hat pattern 2494 and add fabulous felting using the Simplicity® 12 Needle Deluxe Felting Machine for a truly unique take on cold-weather accessories.
- Simplicity® 12 Needle Deluxe Felting Machine
- Simplicity Pattern 2494
- Fleece – purchase fabrics yardage according to pattern 2494 envelope back – we used view A
- Roving, variegated and novelty yarns – small amounts
- Hand Sewing Needle
- Matching Thread
- Sewing Machine
- Disappearing Ink Marker
- Small piece of cardboard
- Make hat according to sewing pattern instructions.
- Using the disappearing ink marker, draw a circle the size of flower pattern piece 4 onto a piece of fleece fabric.
- According to directions on the Simplicity® 12 Needle Deluxe Felting Machine, felt inside the circle with yarns and roving until it is covered.
- Trace flower pattern piece 4 onto the back of the felted circle with the disappearing ink marker.
- Cut out flower according to marked outline.
- Wrap novelty yarns around a small piece of cardboard and tie off at one end.
- Cut off the cardboard to make a tassel.
- Using a needle and thread, gather the flower at the center and hand sew tassel to flower center. Shape the flower as desired as you sew.
- Follow steps 2 through 5 for leaves, using leaf pattern piece 5. Make two leaves.
- Hand sew leaves to flower at one end together to give it a more natural shape.
- Felt vines and flowers to the brim of the hat as desired. Using variegated yarn is an easy way to achieve the look pictured with little effort. Hand sew the completed flower to the hat as shown in photo. HINT: To avoid needle breakage when felting over bulky seams, move the felting wheel by hand.