- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Felted Tree Skirt
Create this elegant tree skirt using the Simplicity® Hand Felting Machine – play with textures and colors for a unique heirloom that will be treasured for years to come.
You will need:
- Plain tree skirt made from wool, wool felt, felt or silk – you can also sew your own using Simplicity® pattern #4842
- Yarn in different weights
- Disappearing ink marking pen
- Hand sewing needle
- Matching thread
- Simplicity® Hand Felting Machine
- Embellishments such as beads, sequins and buttons (optional)
- Lay tree skirt flat on table or other flat surface.
- Starting at one end at the back of the tree skirt, begin to lay yarn onto the surface of the skirt until you reach the opposite end. Play around with the design until you are happy with the visual results. DO NOT CUT THE YARN.
- If the yarn is thick enough, pin in place. If not, trace along the yarn with marking pen or pencil to transfer the yarn design onto the tree skirt. When the design has been fully traced, remove the yarn.
- Using the traced line as a guide, lay the yarn back on the tree skirt and needle felt yarn to the skirt – go over the yarn just enough to tack it in place.
- Lay tree skirt flat to review your yarn placement – since it has only been tacked in place so far you can still pull the yarn off and reposition if needed.
- Once you are satisfied with the final placement, continue needle felting to secure yarn permanently to the tree skirt.
- If desired, add additional embellishments to further enhance your design.