- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Fox Hat & Mask
Designed by Andrea Schewe
This fox says, "it's easy to be awesome" when you start with a store-bought knit hat and download our FREE pattern for the add-ons. Cut, sew and glue ears, faux fur panels and facial features to complete the look.
- Knit ski hat in brown or black – TIP: be sure that the hat fits close to the head
- Fox Hat add-ons: click here to download and print. You will need Adobe Acrobat to download this file – if your computer does not have it already installed, it is available for free ad Adobe.com – this pattern will print on 4 pages of 8 1/2" x 11" paper.
- 1/4 yard of 44" wide faux fur
- 1 – 9" x 12" sheet of black craft felt
- 1 – 9" x 12" sheet of brown craft felt
- 1 – 9" x 12" sheet of off-white craft felt
- Polyester fiberfill stuffing
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Fabric glue
- Hand sewing needle
- Safety pins
- Download and print fox hat add-ons – cut pieces from faux fur fabric and felt as directed on pattern pieces. Note that pieces for ears and hat panels include 1/4" seam allowances where needed, which are indicated on the pattern pieces.
- With RIGHT sides of fabric facing each other, pin the dart together at the point of the back ear. Sew in a 1/4" seam. Turn RIGHT side out.
- With RIGHT sides of fabric facing each other, pin back ear to front ear, matching all cut edges. Stitch all around in a 1/4" seam
- Cut a slit in the faux fur fabric for turning.
- Turn the ears RIGHT side out. Stuff with polyester fiberfill stuffing.
- With a hand sewing needle and matching thread, stitch the turning slit closed. The faux fur will hide hand stitches.
- Prepare faux fur panels for hat. Pin dart on center back top fur panel and stitch in a 1/4" seam. Pin center back top fur to center front top fur along notched edges, matching cut edges and notches. Stitch in a 1/4" seam.
- Put the knit ski hat on person who will be wearing it and safety pin all of the faux fur panels on in this order:
- Center top fur
- Felt eye patches
- Side back fur
- Center top fur
- Remove the hat to stitch all pinned pieces to hat. You can either sew by hand (using a whipstitch) or machine (using a zig zag stitch). Be sure to stitch around all edges of panels and patches, stretching slightly if necessary while sewing.
- Stuff the hat tightly with newspaper or plastic bags. Pin ears in place as shown.
- With hand sewing needle and matching thread, hand stitch ears securely to hat.
- Glue felt details (eyelid, eyebrow, front ear edging) to ears and eye patches, using the photo as a guide.
Designed by Andrea Schewe
This no-sew mask speaks volumes – a blank store-bought eye mask gets tricked out with outrageous fox "ears" and eye accents, using our FREE downloadable pattern, felt, feathers and craft glue.
- Blank eye mask – get one with a fabric covering for best results
- Fox Mask add-ons: click here to download and print. You will need Adobe Acrobat to download this file – if your computer does not already have it installed, it is available for free at Adobe.com – this pattern will print on a single sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper.
- 2 – 9" x 12" sheets of red craft felt
- 1 – 9" x 12" sheet of white craft felt
- Bag of small marabou feathers in Red
- 8" x 8" piece of thin cardboard (a cut-up gift box or oak tag will work)
- Red acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Craft glue
- Download and print fox mask add-ons – cut pieces from cardboard and felt as directed on pattern pieces.
- Paint blank mask red with acrylic paint, following manufacturer's directions. Allow to dry.
- Glue red felt pieces to both sides of the cardboard pieces.
- Lay the prepared felt pieces flat, with points facing up and placing them so they are a mirror image of each other, forming a "pair" of ears. The sides facing up will be the FRONTS of the ears.
- Starting from the top point down, glue feathers to the front of each ear. Apply glue as you go, layering the feathers for complete coverage. Allow to dry completely.
- Glue feathered ears to either side of the mask, as shown. Allow to dry completely.
- Place the white accents (eyebrows, cheek stripes) on mask as desired, using the photo as a guide. Glue in place and allow to dry completely.