- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Sassy Pirate Hat
As seen in Jo-Ann© FASHIONfusion Magazine
A simple hat form is transformed with fabric and opulent trims into a fabulous accessory sure to make you the belle of the masque ball.
- 1 tricorn hat base (can be purchased from millinery supply, party supply or costume shop)
- 1/2 yard red satin fabric
- 1 yard 1/2" wide Chinese gimp braid trim – we used 1862702 in White
- 1 yard 1-3/4" wide flat lace trim – we used 1866310 in Red
- 1 yard 2-1/2" wide ruffled lace trim – we used 1862512 in Black
- 3 flower accessories – we used 5602968
- Fabric marking pen or pencil
- Flexible tape measure
- Fabric adhesive
- Spray adhesive
- Place tricorn hat form over fabric and mark on fabric cut marks, to cover exterior perimeter of hat, allowing enough fabric to fold over the top and bottom edge 1". Cut out the shape you have marked. Mount the cut out fabric to hat base using spray adhesive, cutting slashes in curved sections to allow molding of fabric to hat form.
- Measure the top interior 3rd section of the hat form and cut fabric for each of these three sections separately. Mount to hat form with spray adhesive.
- Measure top circle of hat and add 1" to the diameter. Cut out circle to this measurement. Cut slashes as needed along the outer edge of the circle to mold to hat form, and mount to form with spray adhesive.
- Starting at the center back of the hat, glue with fabric adhesive the 1-3/4" lace trim to inside of hat brim, overlapping ¼" with the brim's edge. Secure trim all the way around the inside of the hat, overlapping ¼" at the center back starting point. Trim off excess lace trim and tack the two cut ends together.
- Starting at the center back of the hat, glue with fabric adhesive the 2-1/2" lace trim over the narrower lace, matching the edge with that of the narrower lace. Secure trim all the way around the hat, overlapping ¼" at the center back starting point. Trim off excess lace trim and tack the two cut ends together.
- Starting at the center back of the hat, glue with fabric adhesive the gimp braid trim to the outside of the brim, placing the trim ¼" from the edge of the brim. Secure braid all around the outside of the hat, overlapping ¼" at the center back starting point. Trim off excess lace and use another drop of fabric adhesive to seal the end.
- Using the photo as a guide, place the 3 flower embellishments into the back corner of the tricorn hat brim. Glue in place with fabric adhesive.