As seen in Jo-Ann© FASHIONfusion Magazine
Ahoy mateys! Finish off your pirate costume perfectly with this easy sash and fun head wrap, complete with built-in braided wig.
TWO-TONE WAIST SASH
- 58"-60" wide jersey knit fabric: 1/2 yard each of Black and Red
- 1/2 yard of 1-3/8" twill with gold coins trim – we used 1837019
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Fold each length of fabric CROSSWISE in half, with cut edges even. Cut fabric in half so that you have two pieces of red and two pieces of black, each measuring 60" long X 9" wide. Trim off all selvages.
- With WRONG sides together, pin one short end of each red fabric piece together, matching cut edges. Stitch in a ½" seam. Press seam open.
- Repeat Step 2, using black fabric pieces. You will now have one long piece of red and one long piece of black.
- With WRONG sides together, pin black and red pieces together, pinning along one long edge with cut edges even. Stitch in a ½" seam. Press seam open.
- Tie sash around waist as shown in photo. If ends are too long, trim to desired length.
- Fold narrow edge of sash ¼" under and pin in place. Stitch hem, stitching close to cut edge. Repeat on other end of sash.
- On RIGHT side, place twill tape of coin trim over hem and pin in place. Stitch to sash, stitching close to both edges of twill. Repeat on other end of sash.
HEAD WRAP WITH WIG
- 58"-60" wide jersey knit fabric: 1-2/3 yard each of Black and Red
- 5 reels (each containing 12 yards of trim) 1/8" leather lacing in Tan or Dark Brown – we used 1862354
- 2 yards of 1/16" leatherette cord in Black – we used 1862381
- 1 string of Red beads
- 1 string of Gold beads
- 1 string of Black beads
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Straight pins
- Fabric pen or pencil
- Cut all Tan or Brown leather cord into 2/3 yard (24") lengths.
- Take three lengths of cord and tie a knot ½" from one end. Repeat for all remaining cut lengths of cord.
- Take one knotted 3-strand section of cord and braid together, forming a pirate "dreadlock", leaving the last ½" loose. Take one strand of cord and wrap around the other two strands; tuck into itself, tying the end.
- Repeat Step 4 for all remaining knotted 3-strand sections of cord.
- Untie the first knot of one braid and lay individual strand ends parallel to one another, laying them flat. Insert a straight pin through all ends; this will prepare the braid for being sewn in between layers of fabric. Repeat with all braids.
- Cut three lengths of Black cord, each measuring 2/3 yard (24").
- Tie a knot 1" from the end of each cord.
- Thread Red, Black and Gold beads (in pattern and quantity of your choice) onto each of the three cords, allowing the beads to fall at the knotted end. Tie a knot close to the beads to hold them in place.
- Tie an additional knot 1" from the end of the cord.
- Fold the Black knit fabric on the diagonal by bringing the opposite two corners together. You should end up with a triangle with one long edge that is the diagonal of the fabric. Cut along the diagonal fold, creating two separate triangular cut pieces of fabric.
- Repeat Step 10 with the Red knit fabric.
- Lay one Black triangle on a flat surface, WRONG side up.
- Measure 4" from edge on long diagonal side, and mark this point all along the long edge.
- Measure 12" in from the edge of the long diagonal side, and mark this point across the width (this mark will be closer to the opposite corner's edge).
- Find and mark the middle of the long diagonal side. Measure and mark 5" from both sides of this center point.
- Place one braid, starting at the left point marked in Step 15, with the straight pin end at the 4" marked line and the remaining braided section hanging off the fabric. Line 6 more braids to the right of the one just placed.
- Place one braid, starting at the right point marked in Step 15, with the straight pin end at the 4" marked line and the remaining braided section hanging off the fabric. Line 6 more braids to the right of the one just placed.
- Place one beaded cord amongst the 6 braids on the right side, from Step 17, lining the top non-beaded end at the same 4" mark. Place the remaining 2 beaded cords among the 6 braids on the left side, from Step 16, lining the top non-beaded end at the same 4" mark.
- Machine sew, with a single straight stitch, all braids and cords in place on the Black knit fabric, using black thread. Remove straight pins.
- Line up remaining braids with the straight pin ends at the 12" marked line with the opposite ends extending past the corner triangle fabric point (facing opposite direction of the first series placed in Steps 16-18).
- Machine sew, with a single straight stitch, these braids into place onto the Black knit fabric, using black thread. Remove straight pins.
- With RIGHT side up, line up one Red triangle over the WRONG side of the Black triangle, encasing the exposed braids, and pin into place.
- Machine sew, with red thread at the top of your machine and black thread in the bobbin, a straight stitch (with Red side up) 12 ½" from long triangle edge all across fabric, sewing a line over the remaining braid strand sections, closer to the triangle point.
How To Tie Head Wrap:
- Place the long flat edge in about the middle of your forehead, therefore covering most of the top of your head.
- Tie the two corners together in a square knot, at the back of your neck.