RUFFLED BURLAP OTTOMAN COVER
As seen in Jo-Ann© FASHIONfusion Magazine
Give an ottoman a rustic yet sophisticated makeover with a cover fashioned from on-trend burlap fabric and natural Simplicity® jute webbing.
NOTE: Fabric and webbing requirements will vary depending on the size and shape of your ottoman. Yardages listed here cover a 13" square ottoman.
- 1 yard of 48" wide burlap fabric
- 7 yards of 3-1/2" wide jute webbing – we used 1839009
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Flexible measuring tape
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Lay the burlap fabric over the ottoman and trim to a size that covers the ottoman completely.
- Pinch the burlap together at one corner to fit it snugly to the ottoman. Starting at the top, pin burlap down the entire height of the ottoman, pinning through both fabric layers. Repeat for all four corners.
- Using a straight stitch, machine stitch close to each line you have pinned, removing pins as you sew. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure.
- Trim excess fabric so you have 1/2" seam allowances. Press to blend stitches, then press seams to one side. Top stitch 3/8" from the seam to hold seam allowances flat.
- Slip burlap cover over ottoman, with seam allowances on the OUTSIDE. Turn up lower edge 5/8" to form hem and pin in place.
- Using a straight stitch, machine stitch hem in place, stitching 1/2" from the fold. Press hem.
- Turn cover RIGHT side out and slip over ottoman.
- Measure the circumference of the ottoman; cut three lengths of jute webbing measuring 1-1/2 times the circumference. Our ottoman circumference is 54" – 1-1/2 times this measurement is 84"; we cut three 84" lengths of webbing for the three ruffles shown in photo.
- Using a needle or seam ripper, pick out one or two stitches from the first row of red stitching along one edge of the jute webbing. Tie a knot to secure the end.
- On the opposite end of the same row of red stitching, pick stitches and pull gently, gradually forming a ruffle. When the ruffle is 1" longer than the ottoman circumference, stop pulling and knot the thread to secure the ruffle. Repeat for the other two lengths of jute webbing, until you have three ruffles.
- Fold under 5/8" on one end and press in place.
- Starting with unfolded end, hot glue the first ruffle at the bottom of the cover, placing the ruffle's lower edge so that it lines up with the hem of the cover. When the ruffle has made it all around the ottoman, overlap the folded end over the raw cut end by 3/8" and glue in place to secure. Repeat with the other two ruffles, placing the lower edge of the next ruffle so that it just covers the upper edge of the previous ruffle.