Cape 2334 & Downloadable Jabot Pattern
As seen in Jo-Ann© FASHIONfusion Magazine
Get your Gothic on with an ultra-long cape and lacy jabot, perfect for Halloween, conventions, theatricals and more. With our FREE downloadable pattern and detailed instructions to add just the right amount of length to Simplicity® cape pattern 2334, it's a project you can really sink your teeth into!
- Jabot Pattern – click here to download pattern in pdf format, which will print on five sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" paper. NOTE: In order to download this pattern you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Most computers come with this already installed, but if you don't it's available for free at Adobe.com
- 1 yard 44" to 60" wide lace fabric
- 1/4 yard of 22" to 25" wide lightweight fusible interfacing
- Straight pins
- Fabric marking pen or pencil
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- 2 Trouser hooks
- Hand sewing needle
- Apply fusible interfacing to WRONG side of jabot tab, following manufacturer's directions. Fold tab along fold line with RIGHT sides together. Stitch seam in a 5/8" seam allowance, leaving end with small dots open. Trim seam and corners.
- Turn jabot tab RIGHT side out; press. Baste raw edges together.
- Prepare upper ruffle, middle ruffle and lower ruffle as follows: NARROW HEM side and lower edges of ruffle. To gather upper edge, stitch along seam line and 1/4" INSIDE seam line, using a long machine stitch.
- On the OUTSIDE, pin lower ruffle to jabot tab, placing lower row of gathering stitches along stitching line for lower ruffle. Pull up gathering stitches to fit. Baste. Machine stitch in place.
- Apply middle ruffle to tab at stitching line for middle ruffle. Apply upper ruffle to tab at upper edge, having raw edges even.
- Apply fusible interfacing to WRONG side of jabot neckband. Machine-stitch 5/8" from lower edge.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin jabot tab to jabot neckband, matching small dots and having raw edges even. Stitch in a 5/8" seam. Press seam toward lower band, pressing up entire lower edge along stitching.
- Machine-stitch 5/8" from lower edge of jabot neckband facing. Press under edge along stitching. Trim to 1/4". With RIGHT sides together, pin facing to band, matching center fronts and having raw edges even. Stitch side and upper edges in a 5/8" seam. Trim seam and corners; clip curves.
- Turn jabot neckband RIGHT side out; press. Pin pressed edges together. Stitch close to pressed edge.
- On INSIDE, sew hooks to band at small dots. Try on jabot and adjust to fit. Sew eyes under hooks.
ADJUSTING PATTERN 2334 TO CREATE A LONG VAMPIRE CAPE
- Simplicity® pattern 2334
- 44" to 60" wide fabric – add 2 yards to the amount of fabric required for your size, as stated on the pattern envelope back
- Yard stick
- Measuring tape
- Wide paper – you can use printer paper, but will need to tap the sheets together at each edge to create a larger single piece of paper
- Marking pen or pencil
- Determine the finished length you would like your cape to be. In order to determine the finished length measure from the back of your neck to the desired length. Take your new finished length measurement and subtract it from the Finished Garment Measurement for the cape. The Finished Garment Measurement for your size can be found on the back of the pattern envelope.
- Cut out each of the pattern pieces required for your cape:
Piece 13 – Cape Front
Piece 14 – Cape Back
Piece 15 – Cape Front Facing
Piece 16 – Cape Collar
Set aside piece 16, Cape Collar. You will not be making any adjustments to this piece.
- On both Cape Front and Cape Back pieces you will see a small line marking the waistline. Using your yardstick, mark a line on the pattern tissue parallel to the waistline, running across the width of the pattern.
- Cut along the marked line and place a piece of paper beneath the pattern tissue. Keeping the Center Front or the Center Back aligned, spread the cut pieces apart the measurement you calculated in Step 1. Tape the cut tissue to the paper.
- From the hemline/side seam corner use the yardstick to re-draw the side seam into one straight, even line. Cut along new cutting line.
- Following Steps 3 and 4, add the same amount of length to the Cape Front Facing.
- Cut and sew cape according to the instructions included for Simplicity® pattern 2334.