- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
This stylish beret is knitted using a combination of circular and double pointed needles – space-dyed yarn creates the striped effect shown here.
Skill Level: Easy
Skill Level: Easy
- CO-cast on; k-knit; p-purl; pm-place marker; rep-repeat; rnd(s)-round(s); st(s)-stitch(es)
- One size: to fit adult woman 22-23" (56-58 cm) head circumference
- #4 worsted weight yarn: we used Red Heart Super Saver (100% acrylic), 5 oz (141 g), 244 yd (223 m) – 1 skein #985 Urban Camo
- Boye® circular knitting needles US size 8 (5 mm) 16" (41 cm), or size needed to obtain gauge
- Boye® double point knitting needles US size 8 (5 mm), or size needed to obtain gauge
- 12 Stitch markers
- Boye® hand sewing tapestry needle
- 20 sts & 28 rnds = 4" (10 cm) in stockinette stitch. To save time, take time to check gauge.
- M1: With the left needle tip, lift strand between needles from front to back; knit the lifted loop through the back loop to twist the stitch—1 st increased.
Ssk: Slip the next two stitches, one at a time, as if to knit; insert the LH needle into the fronts of these two stitches and knit them together—1 st decreased.
- With circular needle, CO 88 sts. Pm and join for working in the round, being careful not to twist.
Rnds 1-8: *K2, p2; rep from * around.
Rnd 9: Knit.
Rnd 10: *K2, M1; rep from * around—132 sts.
Work even in stockinette st (knit every rnd) until piece measures 5" (13 cm) from cast-on edge, or desired length. Note: Additional length creates additional "slouch".
Next rnd: *K11, pm; rep from * around.
Decrease rnd: *Knit to 2 sts before marker, ssk, slip marker; rep from * around—12 sts decreased.
Next rnd: Knit.
Rep the previous two rnds, switching to double-point needles when necessary, until 11 sts remain.
Next rnd: (Ssk) 5 times, k1—6 sts.
Cut yarn leaving 12" (30.5 cm) tail. Thread tail onto yarn needle and through remaining sts. Pull tight to close and fasten off securely. Weave in all ends.