- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Designed by Nicky Epstein
Skill Level: Intermediate
Yarn Size: #4
beg - beginning; cont - continue; CO - cast on; k - knit; p - purl; rep - repeat; RS - right side; sl - slip; st(s) - stitch(es); WS - wrong side; yo - yarn over;
skp - slip 1, knit 1, pass slipped st over—1 st decreased.
s2kp - slip 2 sts together, k1, pass 2 slipped sts over—2 sts decreased
SMALL (9") fits women’s sizes 6-7 1/2
MEDIUM (9 1/2") fits women’s sizes 8-8 1/2
LARGE (10") fits women’s sizes 9-10 or men’s 7-8
- 1 skein #4 Worsted Weight Yarn 305 yds (279 meters)
- (Original model made using Great Adirondack Yarn Company Obi (100% merino superwash)
20 sts and 28 rows = 4 inches (10 cm) in stockinette st. *Gauge is not critical for this project.*
Slipper is created by working a long tube of I-cord which is then sewn in rounds to create the slipper foot.
- Snake Body (Make 2)
- CO 5 sts.
- *K5; do not turn needle; slip sts to right end of needle; rep from * until piece measures 108 (110, 112)". Place sts on holder.
Create Slipper Foot
Beg at back of heel with cast-on edge, sew a round of cord around bottom of slipper sole with tapestry needle. Cont sewing rounds of cord to previous rounds, adjusting shaping to fit your foot, until 5 rounds are complete. Knit additional rounds of I-cord if necessary to allow cord to end near front of foot
- Snake head
- Place 5 sts from holder back onto needle and begin working back and forth.
- Row 1 (RS) K1, m1, k3, m1, k1—7 sts.
- Row 2 and all WS rows Purl.
- Row 3 K3, yo, k1, yo, k3—9 sts.
- Row 5 K3, yo, k3, yo, k3—11 sts.
- Row 7 K3, yo, k5, yo, k3—13 sts.
- Row 9 Knit.
- Row 11 K5, s2kp, k5—11 sts.
- Row 13 K4, s2kp, k5—9 sts.
- Row 15 K3, s2kp, k5—7 sts.
- Row 17 K2, s2kp, k1—5 sts.
- Row 19 K1, s2kp, k1—3 sts.
- Row 20 Purl 3 sts together. Fasten off.
- Cut yarn leaving 1" for snake tongue. Sew beads at each side of snake head for eyes. Sew edges of head to slipper foot. Weave in ends.
- Flower (make 2)
- Row 1 With C, ch 3, 11 dc in third ch from hook; join with sl st in top of beg ch-3—12 dc.
- Row 2 Ch 1, (sc, tr, ch 2, sc) in each st around, sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
- Attach yarn to any dc post of row 1, ch 1. Sc in each dc post around, sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
- Fold cuff down and sew flower to front of cuff. Sew button to center of flower.
Slipper sock soles are hand washable with mild detergent. Consider the yarn you used to make your slipper socks before washing. After washing and rinsing, gently squeeze out excess water. Stuff with clean paper or cloth to retain shape. Allow to air dry.