- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Nordic Slipper Socks
Designed by Kristin Nicholas
Skill Level: Intermediate
Yarn Size: #4
beg - beginning; cont - continue; CO - cast on; dec - decrease(d)(ing); dpn(s) - double pointed needle(s); inc - increase(ing); k - knit; k2tog-knit two together; N1 (2,3) - Needle 1 (2,3); p - purl; pu - pick up; rem - remain(s)(ing); rep - repeat; rnd(s) - round(s); RS - right side; sl - slip; st(s) - stitch(es); st st - stockinette stitch; WS - wrong side; wyif - with yarn in front; wyib - with yarn in back;
skp - sl 1, k1, pass slipped st over - 1st decreased
s2kp - slip 2 sts together, k1, pass 2 slipped sts over—2 sts decreased
SMALL (9") fits women’s sizes 6-7 1/2
MEDIUM (9 1/2") fits women’s sizes 8-8 1/2
LARGE (10") fits women’s sizes 9-10 or men’s 7-8
- Color A 1 ball #4 Worsted Weight Yarn 93 yds (85 meters)/1.75 oz (50 grams)
- Color B 1 ball #4 Worsted Weight Yarn 93 yds (85 meters)/1.75 oz (50 grams)
- Color C 1 ball #4 Worsted Weight Yarn 93 yds (85 meters)/1.75 oz (50 grams)
- Color D 1 ball #4 Worsted Weight Yarn 93 yds (85 meters)/1.75 oz (50 grams)
- (Original model made using Nashua Handknit Julia (50% acrylic/25% alpaca/25% mohair), colors #6086 Velvet Moss (A), #121 Persimmon (B) #2163 Golden Honey (C) and #2083 Magenta (D))
Double-Pointed Knitting Needles, set of 4 size 5 (3.75 mm)or size needed to obtain gauge
Double-Pointed Knitting Needles, set of 4 size 7 (4.5 mm)or size needed to obtain gauge
1 pair Boye® Suede Slipper Soles in appropriate size
24" Circular Knitting Needle size 7 (4.5 mm)
#22 tapestry needle
20 sts and 24 rnds = 4 inches (10 cm) in stockinette st with smaller needles. *Take time to check gauge.*
RSSR (reverse stockinette stitch ridge)
Rnd 1 Knit.
Rnd 2 & 3 Purl.
Slip all sts purlwise unless otherwise indicated.
KNITTED SOCK (Make 2)
- With A and circular needle, CO 99 sts. Do not join, but work back and forth.
- Row 1 (RS) Purl.
- Row 2 *K4, s2kp, k4; rep from * across—81 sts.
- Row 3 *K3, s2kp, k3; rep from * across—63 sts.
- Row 4 *K2, s2kp, k2; rep from * across—45 sts.
- Row 5 Knit. Divide sts evenly onto 3 larger dpns; join to begin working in the round. Purl 1 rnd. With B, work RSSR (see above).
- Next rnd With A, knit, dec 5 (dec 1, inc 3) evenly spaced around—40 (44, 48) sts. With A, purl 2 rnds. Work Rnds 1-26 of Color Chart over 10 (11, 12) sts. When chart is complete, change to D and work RSSR. Work 3 more RSSR using A, then C, then A.
- Heel Flap
- Change to smaller dpns. With A, k10 (11, 12), slip next 20 (22, 24) instep sts onto stitch holder. Work heel flap back and forth on rem 20 (22, 24) sts.
- Row 1 (WS) With C, purl.
- Row 2 K1, *k1, sl 1 wyib; rep from * to last st, k1.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2, ending with a RS row, until heel flap measures 2 (2 1/4, 2 1/ 2)".
- Turn Heel
- Row 1 (WS) P12 (13, 14), p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 2 Sl 1 wyib, k5, skp, k1, turn.
- Row 3 Sl 1 wyif, p6, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 4 Sl 1 wyib, k7, skp, k1, turn.
- Row 5 Sl 1 wyif, p8, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 6 Sl 1 wyib, k9, skp, k1, turn.
- Size S only:
- Row 7 Sl 1 wyif, p10, p2tog, turn.
- Row 8 Sl 1 wyib, k10, skp.
- Size M and L:
- Row 7 Sl 1 wyif, p10, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 8 Sl 1, k11, skp, k1, turn.
- Size M only:
- Row 9 Sl 1, p12, p2tog, turn.
- Row 10 Sl 1, k12, skp.
- Size L only:
- Row 9 Sl 1, p12, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 10 Sl 1, k12, skp, k1, turn.
- Row 11 Sl 1, p12, p2tog, turn.
- Row 12 Sl 1, k12, skp.
12 (14, 14) heel sts rem.
Place all instep stitches on a single needle.
With D and RS facing, using the needle holding the heel stitches (N1), pu and knit 12 (13, 14) sts along edge of heel flap; with a second needle (N2), knit 20 (22, 24) instep sts; with a 3rd needle (N3), pu and k12 (13, 14) along edge of heel flap, k6 (7, 7) sts from N1—56 (62, 66) sts arranged 18-20-18 (20-22-20, 21-24-21). Place marker to indicate beg of rnd at center back heel.
- Rnd 1 On N1, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; on N2, knit; on N3, k1, skp, knit to end—2 sts dec.
- Rnd 2 With B, knit.
- Rnd 3 With B, rep Rnd 1.
- Rnd 4 With D, knit.
- Cont in 2-rnd stripe pattern, dec 2 sts every other rnd until 40 (44, 48) sts rem.
Work even in St st until foot measures 6 1/2 (7 1/ 2, 8 1/ 4)" from center back heel. Cut B and D.
- Shape Toe
- Rnd 1 With A, on N1, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; on N2, k1, skp, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; on N3, k1, skp, knit to end—4 sts dec.
- Rnd 2 Knit.
- Rep Rnds 1 & 2 until 12 (16, 20) sts rem.
- Slip sts from N3 to N1—6 (8, 10) sts on each of 2 needles. Graft toes using Kitchener st.
Using a double strand of B, work 5 French knots up the center of the flower as shown on Embroidery Chart. Using a double strand of D, work 2 French knots atop the lower triangle motif as shown on Embroidery Chart.
Using a double strand of B, work French knots evenly spaced in the sunken rnd between the D and A ridges.
Center heel on back seam of sole bottom with center of toe matched to center front. Pin evenly around (safety pins or split ring markers work well). Using a single strand of D, sew on slipper sock bottom using an overcast whip stitch.
Hint for sewing on slipper bottom: It is easier if you have a foot in the sock and place it in the slipper bottom. Sew every third hole to the sock and then go back, after the foot is out of the sock. Weave in ends.
Slipper sock soles are hand washable with mild detergent. Consider the yarn you used to make your slipper socks before washing. After washing and rinsing, gently squeeze out excess water. Stuff with clean paper or cloth to retain shape. Allow to air dry.