- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Roll-Up Picnic Blanket
Pair a store-bought table cloth with fun printed fabric and Wrights® bias double fold quilt binding to sew this versatile picnic blanket the rolls up into a compact bundle, ready to go.
- 1 – 50" x 72" rectangular table cloth
- 2 – yards of 45" wide quilting cotton fabric
- 3 – packages of Wrights® 7/8" wide bias double fold quilt binding – we used 117706
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Pre-wash and dry the table cloth and fabric to pre-shrink.
- Cut the fabric into two pieces, each measuring 50" x 36-1/2".
- With RIGHT sides together, place the fabric lengths together along one short end, matching cut edges. Pin in place.
- With a straight machine stitch, stitch together in a 1/2" seam. Press seam to blend stitches and then press seam open. The resulting rectangle measures 50" x 72".
- With RIGHT sides together, line up table cloth and fabric rectangle, matching all cut edges. Pin in place.
- With a straight machine stitch, stitch along all four edges in a 1/2" seam, leaving a 6" long opening for turning. Press stitches to blend and clip corners to remove excess bulk.
- Turn picnic blanket RIGHT side out. Press edges flat, pressing the seam allowances of the opening to the INSIDE.
- Bind edges with quilt binding, as directed on package. The binding will enclose the opening.
- Cut a length of quilt binding measuring 25" long. Using a straight machine stitch, edge stitch open side closed, sewing through all thicknesses. This will be the tie for the rolled-up blanket.
- Find the center of one short side of the picnic blanket by folding in half and placing a pin at the fold. Place the tie on the table cloth side of the blanket at the pin marking and sew securely in place.