- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Girls' Single Seam Sundress with Ruffle
This sweet sundress is super easy to sew, using pre-shirred, elasticized fabric from Fabric Traditions. The ruffle is created with fabric cut from the straight edge of the dress fabric, coordinating perfectly. Find more projects like this at www.fabrictraditions.com.
- Pre-shirred, elasticized fabric – determine yardage needed based off of body measurement. See Directions, Step 1.
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Measure the chest, measuring all around the body. Subtract 2" from this measurement. This is the amount of fabric needed. NOTE: When purchasing fabric be sure to measure from the shirred side of the fabric to purchase the correct yardage.
- Straighten both cut edges of the fabric before beginning.
- Remove the selvage from the edge of the fabric that is not shirred and then trim off a 2-3/4" wide strip of fabric for the ruffle.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin the elasticized section of the fabric together along the cut edges. At the top, match the small ruffled edge, as well as each elasticized row where they meet.
- Pin the cut edges of the flat (not shirred) section of the fabric together, pinning from the base to the elasticized section.
- Using a straight machine stitch, stitch pinned section together in a 1/2" seam. Stitch a second row 1/4" from the cut edge to prevent the seam from curling. Using a zig zag machine stitch, finish the cut edge to finish the raw edges and prevent fraying.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin the short ends of the ruffle together and stitch and finish seam as for dress in Step 6. Press seam flat to one side.
- Fold up lower long edge of ruffle strip 1/4" towards the WRONG side of the fabric. Press fold flat. Fold up 1/4" again, and press fold flat.
- Using a straight machine stitch, sew the hem in place by edge stitching close to the upper folded edge. You will have a 1/4" top stitched line showing on the hem of the dress.
- Trim the hemmed top edge of the dress 1/2" from the top row of elasticized gathering stitches. With the RIGHT side of the ruffle facing the WRONG side of the dress, stretch out the gathers of the dress and pin the ruffle to the top edge, matching the cut edges and center back seams of the dress and the ruffle.
- With a straight machine stitch, stitch the ruffle to the dress, stitching just above the top row of elasticized gathering stitches. Be sure to stretch out the gathers as you sew. Use a zig zag stitch to finish the raw edges of the resulting seam.
- Turn the dress RIGHT side out. Fold the ruffle to the OUTSIDE of the dress, covering the seam. Press the seam lightly.
- Try on the dress to determine the desired length, using pins to mark where you want the finished hem to be. Add 2" from the pins for the hem. Cut off any excess fabric.
- Turn up the hem 1/2", towards the WRONG side of the fabric. Press the fold in place. Turn up hem 1-1/2" and stitch the hem in place by hand or machine.