- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Teaching Kit
How To Make Wings
- 2 - 3 yds. (1.83m-2.74m) of 14-gauge Wire, depending upon the desired size of the wings.
- Duct tape or Electrical Tape
- Queen size Pantyhose - You can purchase patterned or glittered pantyhose, or plain ones, depending on your costume. For example, use black hose for a bat, white hose for an angel, etc.
- 2 Pipe Cleaners
- 1 1/2 Yds. (1.37m) of Ribbon for Ties
- 1 1/2 Yds. (1.37m) Elastic for Shoulder Straps
- Needle and Thread
- Embellishments such as spray paint (Design Master works well on fabric), glitter, fabric paint, markers, feathers, beads, rhinestones and trims.
Step 1. Before you begin shaping the wire, have an idea of the shape you want to achieve. You can be inspired by nature, a fictitious character or your own imagination.
Step 2. Using the wire, make a figure 8 for the two wings. Twist the wire together at the center and cover with tape. If you want to make larger wings, consider making two sets and attaching them together.
Step 3. Shape each side of the wire frame, keeping them as symmetrical as possible. Don't push the wings together at the center until you cover them.
Step 4. Cut the two legs off of the pantyhose. Stretch one leg over each side of the wire frame. Gather the excess at the base of each wing with a pipe cleaner. Cut off excess pantyhose 1/2" (1.3cm) from pipe cleaner. Push the wings together at the center. Use a whipstitch to hold them together.
Step 5. Make straps and ties to hold the wings in place. Hold the wings up to the person wearing them and measure from the top of the wings, over the shoulder and to the bottom of the wings. Subtract 2" (5cm) from the measurement and cut two pieces of elastic to this length. Stitch in place as shown. Sew the ribbon at the midpoint to the bottom of the wings to make the ties.
Step 6. Decorate the wings. Be creative. You can color them with spray paint, fabric paint or markers. Embellish them with a variety of items. Glue on some rhinestones or beads. Add some feathers and trims. Even glue a feather boa around the edge of angel wings.