- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
SUEDEsays™ . . . Make Classic Mittens
Stay warm in SUEDEsays™ style with these mittens in a fab fleece with a classic argyle pattern – use an out-of-the-box color combo to Rock It!
You Will Need:
- 3/8 Yard of Fleece Fabric
- 8" x 6" Remnant of Contrasting Faux Suede or Fleece Fabric
- 1/2 Yard of 3/8" Elastic
- One Package of Baby Rick Rack
- Straight Pins
- Matching Thread
- Mitten Pattern « click here to download pattern in pdf format, which will print on three sheets of 8 ½" X 11" paper
- Cut 2 mitten body pieces of fleece fabric.
- Cut 2 mitten thumbs of fleece fabric.
- Cut 2 pieces of elastic, each measuring 7" long.
- Cut 2 diamond shapes from contrasting faux suede or fleece fabric, each measuring 4" x 3" (measured from point to point).
- On RIGHT side of mitten body, center a diamond shape over the top of the mitten and pin in place. HINT: the mitten top is the portion of the body that does not have the opening for inserting the thumb. Use a zigzag stitch to stitch the diamond in place.
- Cut two pieces of baby rick rack, each measuring 4 ½" long. Place rick rack over the diamond in an "X" pattern, as shown in the photo. Stitch in place and trim the ends as needed.
- With RIGHT sides together, fold mitten thumb in half and stitch notched edges together in s a ¼" seam.
- Cut opening in mitten; with RIGHT sides together, stitch thumb to mitten opening, matching large and small dots.
- On INSIDE, stitch elastic to mitten along dotted line, stretching elastic as you sew.
- With RIGHT sides together, fold mitten in half and stitch entire together in a 5/8" seam allowance. Trim seams and clip curves. Turn mitten RIGHT side out when finished.
- Turn up mitten hem 5/8" and stitch in place.