QUILT #1 WITH RED BORDER:
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: 21-3/4" x 21-3/4" square, 3-1/2" triangles
- EZ Quilting™ Easy Angle Ruler
- General sewing supplies
- Fabric spray starch
- Quilting thread to match fabrics
- Rotary Cutter
- Red solid fabric: 1/2 yd (includes binding yardage)
- Red and white print: fabric 5" x 15" rectangle
- Orange solid fabric: 1/4 yd
- Light yellow solid fabric: 5" x 15" rectangle
- Yellow print fabric: 5" x 15" rectangle
- White solid fabric: 5/8 yd
- Backing fabric: 3/4 yd
- Batting: 25" x 25" square
HOW TO CUT TRIANGLE SETS—See PDF instructions for diagrams:
The triangles can quickly be cut from strips of fabric. Placing two fabric strips right sides together allows for cutting two triangles at the same time that are ready for sewing.Tip: Spray the fabric strips with spray starch and press together with a hot iron prior to cutting to hold the triangles together for sewing.
Place strips right sides together. Trim to straighten the left edge of the strips.
Align the bottom edge of the Easy Angle Ruler with the bottom edge of the fabric strips. Align the left straight edge of the fabric strips with the ruler line that matches the strip size (4" in this project). Cut along the diagonal edge of the ruler for one triangle set.
Flip the ruler up and align the top edge of the fabric with the strip size on the ruler (4" in this project) and the diagonal edge of the ruler with the just cut edge of the fabric.Note: The black tip on the ruler will extend below the bottom of the strip. Cut along the straight edge of the ruler for a second triangle set.
CUTTING THE FABRIC:
From each of the following fabrics, cut:
- Red solid fabric: 1 – 4" x 24" strip
- Red and white print fabric: 1 – 4" x 15" strip
- Orange solid fabric: 1 – 4" x 29" strip
- Light yellow solid fabric: 1 – 4" x 15" strip
- Yellow print fabric: 1 – 4" x 15" strip
- White solid fabric: 4 – 4" x 42" strips
As explained in the How to Cut Triangles section, place one color strip right sides together on top of a white solid strip to cut the following number of triangle sets from each fabric for a total of 36 easy angle triangle sets:
- Red solid fabric: 9 triangle sets
- Red and white print fabric: 5 triangle sets
- Orange solid fabric: 12 triangle sets
- Light yellow solid fabric: 5 triangle sets
- Yellow print fabric: 5 triangle sets
From the Red solid fabric, cut 3 – 2-1/2" x 42" strips for binding. Trim the selvedges. If desired, the binding strips may be cut on the diagonal to make bias binding. A total of 100" of binding is needed.
SEWING INSTRUCTIONS—See PDF instructions for diagrams:
All seams are sewn right sides together with 1/4" seam allowance.