GETTING STARTED: Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: 56" x 69"
- EZ Quilting™ Simpli-EZ Double Wedding Ring Tool Set and Double Wedding Ring Solid Arc Tool
- General sewing supplies
- Quilt basting pins 1" size
- Quilting thread to match fabrics
- Rotary Cutter
The variety of light and medium purples and turquoises used in this quilt add interest and depth. The yardages listed below are totals needed for each value. Choose a variety of fabrics to make up the total yardage.
- Dark purple fabric: 3/4 yd
- Medium purple fabric: 1-1/4 yds
- Light purple fabric: 3/4 yd
- Dark turquoise fabric: 1/2 yd
- Medium turquoise fabric: 1-1/4 yds
- Light turquoise fabric: 3/4 yd
- Ecru batik fabric: 2-3/4 yds for centers and melons
- Backing fabric: 4 yds
- Binding fabric: 1 yd
- Batting: Twin size
CUTTING THE FABRIC—See PDF instructions for diagrams:
- To cut the solid arcs, first cut 11" x 42" strips of fabric. And then use the Double Wedding Ring Solid Arc tool to cut the required number of arcs from each fabric:
- Dark purple: 2 strips 15 arcs
- Medium purple: 3 strips 22 arcs
- Light purple: 2 strips 16 arcs
- Dark turquoise: 1 strip 8 arcs
- Medium turquoise: 3 strips 21 arcs
- Light turquoise: 2 strips 16 arcs
- To cut the squares, first cut 2 – 5⁄8" x 42" strips of fabric. And then use the square on the Double Wedding Ring Tool Set to cut the required number of 2-9⁄16" x 2-9⁄16" squares from each fabric:
- Dark purple: 1 strip 15 squares
- Medium purple: 2 strips 22 squares
- Light purple: 1 strips 16 squares
- Dark turquoise: 1 strip 8 squares
- Medium turquoise: 2 strips 21 squares
- Light turquoise: 1 strips 16 squares
- From the ecru batik fabric, cut 7 – 10-1/4" x 42" strips. From these strips, cut 20 – 10-1/4" x 10-1/4" squares for the centers. Follow the directions included with the Double Wedding Ring Tool Set to cut the outside curves of the center squares.
- From the ecru batik fabric, cut 4 – 7-1/4" x 42" strips. From these strips, cut 49 melons as described in the directions that are included with the Double Wedding Ring Tool Set.
- From the binding fabric cut 2-1/2" wide bias strips to total 300" of bias binding.
All seams are sewn right sides together with 1/4" seam allowance. This quilt uses a solid arc. The instructions that are included with the Double Wedding Ring Tool Set describe using wedge pieces to make a pieced arc. Ignore any instruction that refers to the pieced arc and substitute the solid arc.
ASSEMBLING THE UNITS—See PDF instructions for diagram:
Follow the directions that are included with the Double Wedding Ring Tool Set to assemble the units. Note: Wherever there is instruction that refers to pieced arcs, substitute the solid arc.
ARRANGING THE DESIGN—See PDF instructions for diagram:
On a large design space, layout all of the centers, arcs, melons and squares in an arrangement of 5 rows of 4 circles in each row. Follow the design shown or have fun positioning the pieces into a unique array of color and pattern.
FINISHING THE QUILT:
Create a quilt backing that is at least 4" larger than the quilt top.
On a flat surface, make a quilt sandwich by layering the backing fabric right side down, then the batting, then the quilt top right side up. Baste the quilt every three to four inches with 1" quilt basting safety pins.
Quilt as desired.
After quilting, baste stitch a scant 1/4" around the outside edges of the quilt to keep the layers together and keep them from stretching.
Stitch the binding strips together end to end using diagonal seams. Press the seams open. Fold and press in half lengthwise to make double binding.
Follow the directions that are included with the Double Wedding Ring Tool Set to apply the binding to the quilt.
Make a label with your name and date and sew it onto the back of your quilt. Tip: Sew the label onto the back before quilting so that the quilting stitches permanently attach it to the quilt.