GETTING STARTED: Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
SIZE: To fit newborn to toddler 13" circumference
- Bernat SofteeChunky: 1 skein Emerald 28200
- 1 yd contrast color scrap yarn
- Boye® 30-peg round loom
- Boye® 24-peg round loom
- Boye® 12-peg round flower loom
- Boye® pompom maker
- Boye® loom tool
- Yarn needle
- Basic knitting supplies
GAUGE: 2.5 sts x 4 rows per inch
NOTE: This hat is knitted in rounds starting with largest loom and decreasing stitches and loom peg count through project. If yarn other than the recommended yarn is used, 2 to 3 strands may be required to obtain gauge. The contrast color scrap yarn is used to move stitches to smaller looms.
1. Place slip knot onto anchor peg of 30-peg loom leaving an 8" tail.
2. Cast on all pegs using e-wrap method.
3. Work 9 rounds of Rib Stitch (*Knit one stitch, purl one stitch, rep from * around.)
4. Work 3 rounds in purl stitch.
5. E-wrap and knit 3 rounds.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 four more times—30 rounds total.
7. Decrease Round: With single loop on all pegs, move loop on 5th peg to 4th peg and knit off. *Count to next 5th peg; move this peg to 4th peg and knit off. Repeat from * around—6 empty pegs.
8. Transfer knitting to 24-peg loom as follows: Thread scrap yarn onto yarn needle. Starting with peg 1, insert needle below the loop and pull yarn through. Repeat around so all loops are on scrap yarn. Gently remove all loops from pegs and insert hat into center of 24-peg loom making sure that yarn ball is above hat and free.
9. Starting on peg 1, use loom tool to place each loop onto corresponding peg. Remove scrap yarn.
10. Repeat Steps 4 & 5 one time.
11. Decrease Round: With single loop on all pegs, move loop on 4th peg to 3rd peg and knit off. *Count over to next 4th peg; move this peg to 3rd peg and knit off. Repeat from * around—6 empty pegs.
12. Repeat steps 4 & 5 one time skipping empty pegs.
13. Decrease Round: With single loop on all pegs, move loop on 2nd peg to 1st peg and knit off. *Count over to next 2nd peg; move this peg to 1st peg and knit off. Repeat from * around—12 empty pegs.
14. Transfer knitting to 12-peg loom as before.
15. Repeat Steps 4 & 5 two times.
16. Decrease Round: With single loop on all pegs, move loop on 4th peg to 3rd peg and knit off. *Count over to next 4th peg; move this peg to 3rd peg and knit off. Repeat from * around—3 empty pegs.
17. Purl 2 rounds.
18. Decrease Round: With single loop on all pegs, move loop on 2nd peg to 1st peg and knit off; move loop on 6th peg to 5th peg and knit off; move loop on 10th peg to to 9th peg and knit off—every other peg is empty.
19. Flat knit (place yarn in front of peg only; do not e-wrap) two rounds; skip empty pegs.
20. Decrease Round: Move peg 1 to empty peg 2, move peg 3 to peg 2 and purl both loops together. Move peg 5 to empty peg 6, move peg 7 to peg 6 and purl both together. Move peg 9 to empty peg 10, move peg 11 to 10 and purl both together—3 pegs with stitches remain.
21. Move all three loops next to each other with the working strand on the right.
22. Tighten stitches by gently pulling on loop on the left to pull out slack; gently pull on center loop and then right loop to continue removing slack.
23. Flat knit 3 remaining loops as for I-cord for 12 rows or desired length.
24. Weave in all ends.
25. Use largest ring on Boye pompom maker to make pompom. Fasten pompom to tip of I-cord.