GETTING STARTED: Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
SIZE: Measurements are with bag laid flat and relaxed:
Length with handles = 18"
Bag Height only = 11"
Bag circumference = 23"
- Big Twist™ Chunky Yarn: 1 skein Clover, 1 skein Hibiscus
- Boye 40-peg round loom with loom tool and yarn needle
- Basic knitting supplies
GAUGE: 2.5 sts x 2 rows per inch
NOTES: Although this bag is made on a round loom, parts of it are knit flat in rows. Bag bottom is knit as a flat panel then stretched across the loom and connected in the round to the sides. Handles are added last and can be longer or shorter as desired.
Diamond Lace Pattern
*Skip next peg, e-wrap the next peg, go back and wrap skipped peg—2 pegs are wrapped. Knit off both pegs*. Repeat from * * until 1 peg remains; e-wrap and knit last peg again.
Stretchy Bind Off
1. Knit pegs 1 & 2.
2. Move loop on peg 2 to peg 1 and knit off.
3. Wrap peg 1 again and knit off.
4. Move the stitch on peg 1 to peg 2 (the empty peg where peg 2 was). This will now be called peg 1.
5. To bind off additional stitches, skip peg 1 and knit peg 2, then repeat steps 2-4 until all stitches have been bound off.
6. For last peg only, e-wrap and knit off (no extra stitch). Cut yarn and pull through.
Bottom of Bag
1. Place slip knot onto anchor peg leaving an 8" tail; cast on 14 pegs using e-wrap method.
2. To begin, on first 2 pegs only skip 1st peg, e-wrap 2nd peg, e-wrap 1st peg and knit off both stitches. Continue across row using Diamond Lace Pattern.
3. Turn and repeat step 2 for 18 rows or until piece can stretch across loom easily.
4. To close base: Starting at peg 1, lift the corresponding stitch from the cast on edge and place on peg 34. Continue lifting and placing stitches onto the corresponding pegs until peg 21, making sure to include the two corner stitches. Adjust stitches as needed so there are 14 stitches on pegs 21-34. Place end stitch from every other row on each remaining side peg doubling up stitches as needed for a smooth look.
Sides of Bag
5. Continue to knit around in Diamond Lace Pattern for 14 rounds or desired depth.
6. Bind off using Stretchy Bind Off. Weave in all tails.
Straps (Make 2)
Note: First stitch in every row is slipped. All e-wrap rows are worked left to right and purl rows are worked right to left. Left-handers may want to switch these for ease of use.
7. Cast on 5 pegs using Slip Stitch Flat Panel Method and leaving an 18" tail.
8. Skip peg 1, e-wrap and knit to end of row, turn.
9. Skip peg 1, purl 3, e-wrap and knit 1, turn.
10. Repeat steps 8 & 9 36 times (72 rows) or until handle is at least 15", ending after a Step 9 row. Bind off leaving an 18" tail.
Use tails to sew handles onto inside edge of the bag. Weave in remaining tails.