Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
ew—e-wrap; k2tog—knit 2 sts together; rem—remain(ing)(s); rep—repeat; rnd(s)—round(s); st(s)— stitch(es); yo—yarn over
20" (51 cm) circumference x 12" (31 cm) long
- #4 medium worsted weight yarn: Red Heart With Love,100% acrylic, 7 oz (198 g), 370 yd (338 m), 1 skein, color 1401 Pewter
- Small amount of scrap yarn in contrasting color.
- Boye® 36-peg Light Weight Yarn Loom.
- Boye® 51-peg Light Weight Yarn Loom.
- Boye® 66-peg Light Weight Yarn Loom.
- Loom tool
- Yarn needle
Gauge is not critical for this project if looms and yarn weight match the ones indicated above.
E-wrap cast-on: E-wrap two times around loom and lift bottom loop over top to complete cast-on in the round.
K2tog: Skip 1 peg, place next stitch on top of skipped peg, e-wrap peg and work bottom loop over top loop.
- Step 1: Starting with peg 1, insert the needle below the loop and pull the yarn through. Insert the needle into the loop on the next peg and repeat.
- Step 2: Repeat for all the pegs. Insert the needle into the first loop again to make sure there is no gap.
- Step 3: Remove the loops from the pegs. Pull the yarn tail until the opening is completely closed.
- Step 4: Secure the opening by stitching back and forth, and then finish by tying a knot with the yarn tail. Weave in both yarn tails.
3x3 Ribbed Stitch (multiple of 6):
Rnd 1:*Ew3, p3; rep from * across. Rep Rnd 1 for pattern.
The hat is worked in the round from the bottom up. The size is changed by using multiple looms and contrast color scrap yarn is used to move stitches to each loom.
Using 66-peg loom, e-wrap cast-on all sts around.
Rnds 1-6: Work 3x3 Ribbed Stitch.
Rnds 1-2: Ew and knit.
Rnd 3: *Ew and knit 2 pegs, move peg 2 to peg 1, skip empty peg 2, rep from * around.
Rnd 4: *K2tog, yo, rep from * around.
Rnds 5-6: Rep Rnds 3-4.
Rnds 7-8: Rep Rnds 3-4.
Rnds 9-32: Rep Rnds 1-8 three times.
Rnds 33-38: Rep Rnds 1-6 only.
Rnd 39: Ew and knit — One loop remains on each peg. Hat should measure about 8.5" (21.5 cm) from beginning.
Move all stitches to 51-peg loom as follows: With yarn needle and scrap yarn, weave through each loop on pegs; lift off loom.
Place all 66 sts on 51-peg loom using the following instructions ("even" pegs are skipped and some pegs will have 2 or 3 loops). Removing scrap yarn as you go, *place two sts on peg 1, place 3 sts on pegs 3 & 5. Rep pattern from * until 10 pegs rem. Place 2 loops on pegs 43, 45, 47, 49, 51. There are no remaining sts and every other peg is empty. (There is no empty peg between 51 & 1.)
Rnd 40: Ew and knit all pegs including empty ones and knitting off all pegs with multiple loops so one st remains on all pegs.
Rnds 41-48: Rep Rnds 1-8.
Rnds 49-54: Rep Rnds 1-6.
Rnd 55: Ew and knit—Hat should measure about 11.5" (29 cm) from beginning.
Move all stitches to-36 peg loom as follows: With yarn needle and scrap yarn, remove sts as before. Place all 51 sts on 36 peg loom using the following instructions (pegs will have 1 or 2 loops each; no pegs empty). Place 2 sts on peg 1; one st on pegs 2 & 3; two sts on peg 4; one st on peg 5; two sts on peg 6; one st on peg 7. Rep 7-peg pattern of 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1 until one st remains; place last st on last peg. All pegs have sts on them.
Rnd 56: Ew and knit all pegs so one loop remains on all pegs—36 sts.
Rnds 57-60: Rep Rnds 2-5.
Rnd 61: Ew and knit only pegs with two sts—18; Hat should measure about 13" (33 cm). Cut yarn leaving an 18" (46 cm) tail.
Thread tail onto yarn needled and use Gathered Bind Off to close top of hat. Weave in all ends.