GETTING STARTED: Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
Beg-beginning; ch-chain; dc-double crochet; rep-repeat; rnd-round; RS-Right Side; sc-single crochet; sl st-slip stitch; st(s)-stitch(es); WS-Wrong Side
SIZE:Adult: 22" (56 cm) circumference
- #4 worsted weight yarn: we used Lion Brand® Amazing® (53% wool/47% acrylic), 1.75 oz (147 g), 147 yd (135 m) – 1 ball #212 Mauna Loa
- Boye® crochet hook size I-9 (5.5 mm), or size needed to obtain gauge
- Boye® hand sewing tapestry needle
See the Supply List for items you can purchase here.
13 sts and 9 rnds = 4" (10 cm) in linked double crochet. Take time to check gauge.
Beg Ldc (beginning linked double crochet)
Ch 3, insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, draw through a loop, insert hook through beg ring or next stitch and draw through a loop—3 loops on hook; (yarn over and draw through two loops) twice.
Ldc (linked double crochet)
Insert hook through horizontal crossbar of stitch just worked, yarn over and draw through a loop, insert hook through beg ring or next stitch and draw through a loop—3 loops on hook, (yarn over and draw through two loops) twice.
Rnd 1: With WS facing, ch 4 (counts as 1 tr), tr in back loop of 2nd sc and in back loop of each Ldc around, sl st to top of first tr, turn.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, *sc through both the back loop of each tr and the remaining loop of the corresponding Ldc in the rnd below, forming a tuck; rep from * around, sl st to top of first sc.
Crab Stitch (reverse sc)
With RS facing and with one loop on hook, insert hook into the first st in the opposite direction from where you usually start (to the right for right-handed crocheters; to the left for left-handed crocheters). With the head of the hook pointing downward, go through the first stitch, catch yarn and draw through loop, twisting hook so head faces up—2 loops on hook. With head of hook facing down, yarn over and pull through two loops—1 reverse sc complete. Repeat in each stitch across.
1. The cap is made starting at the crown then increasing stitches as directed or until the desired circumference is achieved. The rounds are then worked even as directed or until the desired depth is achieved.
2. Linking stitches eliminates the openness of longer stitches creating a warm, closed fabric perfect for a hat. The stitches are linked by inserting the hook into the horizontal bars of the previous stitch and drawing up a loop instead of using yarn overs.
3. Count the number of Ldc stitches before you make the last couple of stitches in each round. If you have more or fewer stitches than you need at this point, you can correct it now.
4. Enclose the starting tail as you work the first round of linked stitches. You will draw the tail up in finishing to close the tiny starting ring.
Ch 3, join with sl st to first ch to form a ring. Rnd 1: Beg Ldc, 11 Ldc in ring, join with sl st in top of beg Ldc – 12 Ldc.
Rnd 2: Beg Ldc, Ldc in same st, 2 Ldc in each Ldc around, join with sl st in top of beg Ldc – 24 Ldc.
Rnd 3: Beg Ldc, *2 Ldc in next st, Ldc in next st; rep from * around, omitting last Ldc, join – 36 Ldc.
Rnd 4: Beg Ldc, *2 Ldc in next st, 1 Ldc in each of next 2 sts; rep from * around, omitting last Ldc, join – 48 Ldc.
Rnd 5: Beg Ldc, *2 Ldc in next st, 1 Ldc in each of next 3 sts; rep from * around, omitting last Ldc, join – 60 Ldc.
Rnd 6: Beg Ldc, *2 Ldc in next st, 1 Ldc in each of next 4 sts; rep from * around, omitting last Ldc, join – 72 Ldc.
Work even 9 rounds or to 1" above desired depth. Turn.
With the inside of the cap facing for the first row, work the 2 rnds of the Triple Tuck Stitch. Work 2 rounds of sc, using these two rounds to decrease or increase the final fit of your cap if needed.
Work 1 rnd Crab St. Do not cut yarn.
The spiral line that formed where the increases were made can be concealed and a decorative surface embellishment can be added with a simple chain as follows.
With the ending loop still on the hook, ch 2 or 3. Fasten down with a sl st to any nearby stitch. Continue chaining 2 or 3 chs and randomly looping and zigzagging on the surface of the cap as desired, ending at the center top of hat.
Pull the tail through the last chain then down through the starting ring. Fasten off. Draw up the beg tail to close the starting ring. Tie the two tails together and weave in the ends.
Ch 15, 2 dc into 4th ch from hook. 3 dc into each ch to end. Fasten off. Attach corkscrew to center top. Weave in ends.