Candy Corn Headband
This easy headband accessory is the perfect finishing touch to Amy Brown’s Candy Corn Fairy costume pattern #1034. Start with a purchased headband for the base. Download the PDF and print our FREE pattern on page 4 for the candy corn ears and headband cover.
- Candy Corn Headband Pattern (see page 4 of the PDF) – pattern will print in exact size on a single sheet of 8-1/2" x 11" paper.
- One (1) 3/4" to 1" wide headband
- One (1) 9" x 12" sheet of white craft felt
- One (1) 9" x 12" sheet of orange craft felt
- One (1) 9" x 12" sheet of yellow craft felt
- Small amount of polyester stuffing
- Straight pins
- Matching thread
- Hand sewing needle
1. Fold each sheet of craft felt in half – this will ensure that you have pieces for left and right candy corn ears cut correctly. Cut candy corn ears and headband cover pieces from felt according to downloaded pattern:
- Four (4) ear tops in white
- Four (4) ear middles in orange
- Four (4) ear bottoms in yellow
- Two (2) headband covers in yellow
Pin together one ear top, middle and bottom, matching notches and cut edges, to form a candy corn shape. Stitch together in 1/4 inch seams. Press seams to blend stitching; press seams open.
Repeat Step 2 with remaining ear pieces, until you have two complete pairs of candy corn ears.
With RIGHT sides together, pin two candy corn ear pieces together, matching cut edges and lining up colors. Pin along the two sides, leaving the bottom open. Repeat with remaining ear pieces.
Stitch long sides of ears together in a 1/4 inch seam. Press seams to blend stitching. Turn RIGHT side out.
Stuff ears with polyester stuffing. Tip: use a chopstick to get stuffing into the points of the ears.
With RIGHT sides together, pin headband cover pieces at straight seam to form a continuous piece. Stitch together in a 1/4 inch seam. Press seam to blend stitches. Press seam open.
With RIGHT side facing outwards, wrap headband cover piece around the headband, starting at the center and working towards the ends.
Overlap felt along the inside of the headband, pinning as you go. Trim away felt to fit headband if necessary.
Using a hand sewing needle and matching thread, whip stitch cover in place. Turn back ends and whip stitch to hold in place, for a clean finish at the ends.
Pin candy corn ears to headband, using the photo as a guide. Make sure that the longer side of each ear base is facing an outer edge – this will ensure that the ears sit smoothly on the curve of the headband.
Using a hand sewing needle and matching thread, whip stitch ears to headband.