Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
ABBREVIATIONS: BO—bind off; cm—centimeter(s); CO—cast on; g—gram(s); k—knit; mm—millimeter(s); oz—ounce(s); p—purl; RS—right side; st(s)— stitch(es); St st—stockinette stitch; WS—wrong side; yd—yard(s)
12" (30.5 cm) x 12" (30.5 cm) square with 4" (10 cm) tassels. When laid flat before sewing = 24" L (61 cm) x 12.5" (32 cm wide)
- Boye® 10" (25.5 cm) straight needles size US 10 (5.75 mm)
- #5 Bulky Yarn: Approximately 225 yd (206 m)
- Small amount of contrast color yarn
- Boye® Pom Pom Tassel Maker
- 12" (30.5 cm) pillow form
- Yarn needle
See the Supply List for items you can purchase here.
15 sts and 20 rows = (4" 10 cm) Different yarn brands may vary. Take time to check your gauge.
CO 47 sts leaving a 36" (91.5) tail.
Row 1 (RS): Knit.
Row 2: Purl.
Rows 3 – 22: Rep Rows 1 and 2.
Rows 23 – 30: Knit (Garter St).
Row 31: Knit.
Row 32: Purl.
Repeat Rows 31 and 32 (Stockinette St) until piece measures 24" (61 cm). BO leaving 36" (91.5 cm) tail.
If desired, weave in contrast color yarn in between each garter ridge using random length stitches.
Fold pillow cover in half with RS together. Sew the right and left sides together using beginning and ending tails. Weave in ends. Insert pillow form and sew the CO and BO edges together. Weave in remaining tails.
Holding both colored yarns together, use your Boye® Pom Pom Tassel Maker to make 4 tassels that are 4" (10 cm) long or follow the directions below:
- Cut a piece of cardboard 4" (10 cm) wide and 1" (2.5 cm) longer than your desired tassel. Wrap yarn around cardboard multiple times depending on desired size.
- Slide a 12" (30.5 cm) piece of yarn under the wrapped yarn and tie a knot at the top leaving long tails to attach to tassel. Cut lower edge of wrapped yarn to free ends. Wind a second piece of yarn around the tassel two or three times about 1" (2.5 cm) below the top. Knot tightly.
- Thread tails onto yarn needle and push to inside of tassel. Trim ends to make even.
Tie Tassels onto pillow corners. Weave in tails.