Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
ABBREVIATIONS: BO—bind off; cm—centimeter(s); CO—cast on; g—gram(s); k—knit; k2tog—knit 2 sts together; mm—millimeter(s); oz—ounce(s); p—purl; rep—repeat; RS—right side; st(s)— stitch(es); WS—wrong side; yd—yard(s)
SIZE: 9" (23 cm) wide x 68" (86.5 cm) long when laid flat before folding or tassels
- Boye® 14" (35.5 cm) straight needles US size #19 (15 mm)
- Boye® Pom Pom Tassel Maker
- Boye® yarn needle
- #7 jumbo yarn: Approximately 180 yd (164.5 m)
See the Supply List for items you can purchase here.
GAUGE: 6 sts x 8 rows = 4" (10 cm) Different yarn brands may vary. Take time to check your gauge.
- Kfbf (knit in front, back, front): Knit into the front, then back, thenfront of the same st—2 sts increased.
- M1 (make 1): With left needle, lift strand running between needles from front to back; knit the lifted strand through the back loop—1 st increased.
- ssk (slip, slip, knit): Slip next 2 stitches to right needle one at a time as if to knit; insert left needle into front of stitches and knit them together through back loops—1 left-leaning st decreased.
- s2kp (slip 2, knit, pass over): Slip next 2 sts to right needle as if to knit; k1, pass the 2 slipped stitches over—2-st centered decrease.
Place slip knot on needle.
Row 1 (RS): Kfbf into slip knot—3 sts.
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: K1, M1, k1, M1, k1—5 sts.
Row 4: K2, p1, k2.
Row 5: K2, M1, k1, M1, k2—7 sts.
Row 6: K2, purl to last 2 sts, K2.
Row 7: K2, M1, knit to last 2 sts, M1, k2—9 sts.
Rows 8-11: Rep Rows 6 and 7 two more times—13 sts.
Row 12: Rep Row 6.
Row 13: Knit.
Repeat Rows 12 and 13 until piece measures 63" (160 cm)
from beginning and ending with a WS row.
Taper end as follows:
Row 1: K2, ssk, knit to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2—11 sts.
Row 2: K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Rows 3 – 6: Rep Rows 1 and 2 twice—7 sts.
Row 7: K2, s2kp, k2—5 sts.
Row 8: K2, p1, k2.
Row 9: K1, s2kp, k1—3 sts.
Row 10: K1, p1, k1.
Row 11: S2kp, fasten off.
Fold in half and sew along one side for 9" (23 cm) from fold. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.
Use your Boye® Pom Pom Tassel Maker to make 3 tassels 6" (15 cm) long or follow these directions: Cut a piece of cardboard 4" (10 cm) wide and 1" (2.5 cm) longer than your desired tassel. Wrap yarn around cardboard multiple times depending on desired size. Slide a 12" (30.5 cm) piece of yarn under the wrapped yarn and tie a knot at the top leaving long tails to attach to tassel. Cut lower edge of wrapped yarn to free ends. Wind a second piece of yarn around the tassel two or three times about 1" (2.5 cm) below the top. Knot tightly. Thread tails onto yarn needle and push to inside of tassel. Trim ends to make even.
Attach one tassel to top of hood and each end of scarf.