Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
ABBREVIATIONS: BO—bind off; cm—centimeter(s); CO—cast on; g—gram(s); k—knit; mm—millimeter(s); oz—ounce(s); p—purl; RS—right side; st(s)— stitch(es); WS—wrong side; yd—yard(s)
SIZE: 30" (76 cm) wide x 20" (51 cm) long when laid flat
- Boye® 29" (73.5 cm) circular needle US size #17 (12.5 mm)
- #6 super bulky yarn: Approximately 200 yd (186 m). Different yarn brands may vary. Take time to check your gauge.
See the Supply List for items you can purchase here.
GAUGE: 8 sts & 11 rows = 4" (10 cm).
- Kfbf (knit in front, back, front): Knit into the front, then back, thenfront of the same st—2 sts increased.
- M1 (make 1): With left needle, lift strand running between needles from front to back; knit the lifted strand through the back loop—1 st increased.
- Knitted Cast On: *knit into the last stitch on the left needle but do not remove stitch from needle; place new stitch created onto the left needle. Repeat from * for desired number of stitches.
Place a slip knot on needle.
Row 1 (RS): Kfbf into slip knot—3 sts.
Row 2: Knit.
Row 3: K1, M1, k1, M1, k1—5 sts.
Row 4: K2, p1, k2
Row 5: K2, M1, knit to last 2 sts, M1, k2—7 sts.
Row 6: K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Repeat Rows 5 & 6 until 57 sts ending with Row 6.
To make ties:
Next Row: Knit across then CO 50 sts using Knitted Cast On.
Next Row: BO cast on sts knitwise then purl across remaining sts then CO 50 sts using Knitted Cast On.
Next Row: BO cast on sts knitwise then BO remaining sts knitwise.
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Use your Boye® Pom Pom Tassel Maker to make 2 pompoms 3" (7.5 cm) in diameter or follow the directions below:
Cut a piece of cardboard 4" (10 cm) wide and one-half the diameter of your desired pompom. Wrap yarn around cardboard approximately 30 times. Thread yarn needle with 8" (20.5 cm) piece of yarn. Insert needle between cardboard and yarn wraps at top edge. Tie yarn tightly around all wraps. Cut wraps at opposite edge to form pompom. Shake pompom to distribute yarn evenly.
Trim ends as needed. Securely attach pompom to end of each tie. Weave in tails.
Wear Bandanna Scarf using either side facing out.