GETTING STARTED: Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: 40" x 52", 3" and 4-1/2" 60-degree diamonds
- EZ Quilting™ 60-Degree Diamond Ruler
- General sewing supplies
- Quilt basting pins, 1" size
- Quilting thread to match fabrics
- Rotary Cutter
- 7 different design fabrics: 1 fat quarter of each fabric
- Background fabric: 1-3/4 yds
- Backing fabric: 1-3/4 yds
- Binding fabric: 3/4 yds
- Batting: Crib size
CUTTING THE FABRIC:
- From each of the 7 Design fabrics, cut 2 – 4-1/2" x 21" strips. From these strips, cut 6 – 4-1/2" diamonds from each fabric using the full size of the 60-Degree Diamond ruler for a total of 42 diamonds.
- Choose fabrics for the small outside diamonds and cut 10 – 3" diamonds using the 3" height line on the 60-Degree Diamond ruler. Or, these may be chosen and cut after designing the center star.
- From the Background fabric, cut 1 – 40" x 52" rectangle.
- From the Binding fabric, cut 5 – 2-1/2" x 42" strips. Trim the selvedges. If desired, the binding strips may be cut on the diagonal to make bias binding. A total of 200" binding is needed.
All seams are sewn right sides together with 1/4" seam allowance.
ASSEMBLING THE CENTER STAR DESIGN—See PDF instructions for diagram:
As shown in the picture, arrange 36 of the 4-1/2" diamonds in a star design. There will be 6 diamonds leftover that will not be used.
To sew the design together, mentally divide the design into 6 triangular wedges of 6 diamonds in each. Notice there are 3 rows in each triangular wedge: a row with 3 diamonds, then a row with 2 diamonds, and finally a row with 1 diamond.
Begin with one wedge. Sew the diamonds in each row together. Press the seams open.
Sew the 3 rows together. Press the seams open. This completes one triangular wedge of the star design.
Repeat the above 2 steps with the other 5 triangular wedges.
Sew the 6 triangular wedges together to complete the star design. Press the seams open.
Turn under and baste 1/4" all around the outside edge of the star design. Note: It may be necessary to remove a few stitches of the seams at the inside corners to allow turning under.
ASSEMBLING THE QUILT TOP:
Fold the 40" x 52" background rectangle into quarters and crease.
Place the star design in the middle of the background fabric using the quarter creases to center the design. Pin in place.
Sew the star design to the background fabric by hand with a slip stitch. If preferred, the design may be machine sewn with a decorative stitch. Remove the basting stitches.
ADDING THE SMALL OUTSIDE DIAMONDS—See PDF instructions for diagram:
If the 10 small 3" diamonds were not cut prior to this step, cut them now.
As shown in the picture, there are 4 pairs of small diamonds. Sew these pairs together. Press the seam open.
Turn under and baste 1/4" on all sides of the 4 small diamond pairs and the 2 single small diamonds.
Place the small outside diamonds onto the background fabric as shown in the picture. Pin into place.
Sew the small diamonds to the background in the same manner as for the center star design: by hand with a slip stitch or by machine with a decorative stitch. Remove the basting stitches.
FINISHING THE QUILT—See PDF instructions for diagram:
Create a quilt backing that is approximately 4" larger than the quilt top.
Press the quilt top with a hot iron.
On a flat surface, make a quilt sandwich by layering the backing fabric right side down, then the batting, then the quilt top right side up. Baste the quilt every three to four inches with 1 inch quilt basting safety pins.
Quilt as desired.
After quilting, baste stitch a 1/4" around the outside edges of the quilt to keep the layers together.
Stitch the binding strips together end to end using diagonal seams. Press the seams open. Fold and press in half lengthwise to make double binding.
Sew the binding to the quilt front along the quilt edge with a 3/8" seam.
Trim the backing and batting even with the quilt top.
Flip the binding to the back, and stitch down with matching thread.
Make a label with your name and date and sew it onto the back of your quilt.Tip: Sew the label onto the back before quilting so that the quilting stitches permanently attach it to the quilt.