GETTING STARTED: Download the PDF for a set of portable project instructions. Read through all of the instructions before beginning.
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: Two Placemats, 14-1/2"x 19"
- EZ Quilting™ Draft N Cut Ruler
- General sewing supplies
- Quilt basting pins 1" size
- Quilting thread to match fabrics
- Rotary cutter
- Solid fabric strips: 16 different 1-1/2" x 20" strips
- Background fabric: 1-1/2 yd (includes 1/2 yd for backings)
- Binding fabric: 3/8 yd
- Batting: two 17" x 21" rectangles
CUTTING THE FABRIC:
- From each of the 16 color fabrics, use the Draft N Cut Ruler to cut two 1-1/2" x 8-1/2" rectangles for a total of 32 rectangles.
- From the background fabric, cut two 17" x 21" rectangles for the placemat backings.
- From the background fabric, use the Draft N Cut Ruler to cut eleven 1-1/2" x 42" strips. From these strips, cut 64 – 1-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangles.
- From the background fabric, use the Draft N Cut Ruler to cut two 2" x 42" strips. From these strips, cut four 2" x 14-1/2" rectangles for the side borders.
- From the binding fabric cut four 2-1/2" strips. Trim the selvedges.
All seams are sewn right sides together with 1/4" seam allowance. Seams may be pressed in any direction.
ASSEMBLING THE COLOR STRIPS:
Choose one 1-1/2" x 8-1/2" color rectangle and two 1-1/2" x 6-1/2" background rectangles. Sew a background rectangle to each end of the color rectangle. This pieced strip should measure 1-1/2" x 20-1/2".
Repeat step one for the remaining 31 color rectangles and 62 background rectangles.
ASSEMBLING THE PLACEMAT TOPS:
Arrange 16 color/background pieced strips in a pleasing array staggering the color rectangles across the design as shown in the diagram on the PDF instructions. The top and bottom of the design are uneven at this point.
Sew the 16 pieced strips together as designed. Trim the pieced unit to 14-1/2" wide x 16-1/2" long.
Sew a 2" x 14-1/2" background rectangle to each side of the strip-pieced unit. The placemat now measures 14-1/2" wide x 19" long.
Repeat steps 1 through 3 to create the second placemat.
FINISHING THE PLACEMATS:
Layer the placemat backings wrong side up, the batting and the pieced placemat tops right side up. Baste together.
Quilt as desired. The placemat shown was quilted in an allover meandering pattern.
After quilting, baste a scant 1/4" from the edge of the placemats to hold the three layers together.
Join 2 of the binding strips together end to end with a diagonal seam pressed open. Fold in half lengthwise and press to make a double binding. Repeat with the remaining two binding strips.
Sew the binding to the placemats with a 3/8" seam allowance, mitering the corners. Trim the excess batting and backing, turn the binding to the back side of the placemats and stitch down with matching thread.