The Best Guide to Fit!
- To select your pattern size, use your body measurements, not ready-to-wear size.
- All Simplicity® patterns are multi-sized to help you get a custom fit.
- Finished garment measurements are printed on the pattern tissue and on the back of many pattern envelopes. Compare these against the body measurement chart for your size. The difference is the amount of ease allowed.
- To take accurate body measurements follow the how-to- measure steps below. Periodically check your measurements for changes.
- To find your figure type, use height and back waist length measurements and descriptions in measurement charts to determine figure type.
|Garment||Use this measurement for correct size|
|Dresses, Tops Jackets & Separates||Bust: If you have more than 2 1/2" (6.3cm) difference between bust and high bust, select your pattern size by high bust* measurement|
|Skirts & Pants||Waist measurement: If your hips are two sizes or more larger than your waist, use hip measurement.|
|Between Two Sizes||Smaller size for a closer fit, or if you are small-boned. Larger size for a looser fit, or if you are large-boned.|
*Misses patterns are made for a B cup with 2 1/2" (6.3cm) difference between bust and high bust measurement.
How to Measure:
Measure over the undergarments you normally wear. Hold the tape measure comfortablysnug, but not tight.
- Height: Standing against a flat wall without shoes, from floor to top of your head.
- Bust: Around the fullest part of the bust and straight across the back.
- High Bust: directly under the arms, straight across the back and above the bust.
- Waist: Tie a narrow elastic around waist and let it settle naturally at your waistline. Measure over the elastic. Keep the elastic in place for the next measurement.
- Back Waist Length: from the most prominent bone at the base of neck to the natural waistline.
- Hip: around body at fullest part, usually 7"- 9" (18-23cm) below waist.
- Misses’/Miss Petite Size Chart - For well-proportioned, developed figures
- Women’s/Women’s Petite Size Chart - For the larger, more fully mature figures
- Misses', Men's, Teen-Boys, Boys' & Girl's Size Chart
- Boys’ & Teen Boys’ Size Chart - For growing boys and young men who have not reached full adult stature
- Men’s Size Chart- For men of average build; about 5' 10" without shoes
- Babies', Toddlers' & Kids Size Chart